Tuesday, October 10

Correcting a Nobel Prize Winner

Richard Thaler won the Nobel Prize in Economics yesterday.

Earlier this year I was at Barnes & Noble and I happened to pick up the paperback edition of his 2015 work, Misbehaving: The Making of Behavioral Economics. I do not know if I ever formed an opinion of the book, it was a good read and the prose was nice and readable, but I just never knew what to make of the name-dropping and the semi-questionable methods he used at reaching conclusions. Scenarios such as "I have a college kid ten one dollar bills to see how much he would be willing to pay for a cup of coffee" are just too controlled for me. By the way, I made up that example, but it is not far off from the examples throughout the book. People like the book, so be it.

Anyway, while I was at it, as I always do, I point out errors in books, whether a library book or a book in a bookstore. Here are five errors that I caught. Further, I was surprised these errors did not get corrected after the hardback edition, for a book that sold so well. You're welcome.

p. 99 - "starting" should be "started"

p. 211 there needs to be an "a" in there

p. 232 "be" should be "been"

p. 314 "to issue" is only needed once
(lower right, pencil circle is thin and light)

p. 385 the year is wrong on that reference, it was written in 1985, not 1996

No comments:

Post a Comment