Monday, January 21

Tony Romo In The Booth

I was watching Sunday's AFC Championship game between the Patriots and the Chiefs and I followed along briefly on Twitter for a few minutes. I happened to see Tony Romo was trending so I clicked to see what people were saying. Most people were dogging him pretty bad, and most felt that he was rooting for one team and/or against the other team. I was NOT getting that impression. I think Tony Romo gets giddy about football in general. So, in the second half of the game, the Chiefs scored a touchdown on a short screen pass by Pat Mahomes and the receiver (I have forgotten his name) made a nice run along the sideline for a touchdown. Almost immediately, Romo was diagramming the "bottom of the screen" where the play went and he circled on the screen how four guys had been bunched up and allowed the receiver to be open with space to run. I was stunned at how he had seen that so quickly. I went ahead at that point and posted to Twitter what I was thinking, like anyone cared. By the end of the game, Romo was looking like Nostradamus as he had been proven right in calling places for both teams and he was seeing stuff that frankly, even the Kansas City defense apparently was not seeing. After the game I was happy to see Romo getting some praise. I do not want to assume that the people making the negative comments were on the losing end of the game, I hope people were listening more objectively than that. The praise from Romo seemed to be coming from all quarters. Here is just a sample: I enjoyed both games Sunday, though the fact that the NFL has a huge officiating problem that they have to fix was on display. Anyway, I enjoyed hearing Tony Romo and right now I think he is the best guy in the booth on any network.

No comments:

Post a Comment