Saturday, June 1

Watching a 1-0 High School Baseball Game

If you know me at all you know I love baseball. If you know me well, you have likely heard my lectures about how I prefer a nice 1-0 ballgame versus a 10-9 slugfest.

Well, on Saturday I watched a Texas high school playoff game between Magnolia West and Georgetown. It was game three of the series, the deciding game to determine who would advance to the Texas state 5A playoff tournament to be played in Round Rock at Dell Diamond next week.

I got my 1-0 ballgame and it was quite remarkable how it happened. After a scoreless top of the first, Georgetown came to bat. Their leadoff hitter, Jeffrey David, hit the first pitch he saw to right-center and was able to get a triple as he slid safely in to third base. The next batter, Wyatt Childress, fell behind 0-2, but the third pitch he saw he hit a slow bouncer to the shortstop who fielded the ball and threw out Childress at first, but David scored from third on the play to give Georgetown the 1-0 lead, and the only run of the game was scored right there on the fourth pitch of the game.

The two teams played the entire seven inning ballgame, and the only run that scored was in the bottom of the first. The game did not even last two hours. I love baseball, have I mentioned that? A 1-0 game is rare at any level, major leagues, minor leagues, college, and so on. It is even more rare in high school, and yet, there it was unfolding before my eyes on Saturday afternoon. -

No comments:

Post a Comment